Sunday, October 21, 2007

Camera

Well, God bless Sears. Went out today to try to get a camera to use for the blog: it wasn't that I don't appreciate the generosity of the people who have volunteered their photos, because of course I do, but I didn't think I was going to be able to handle it, emotionally, if I couldn't post about any plants until I tracked down a public domain photo. When I'm in the mood to talk about a plant, I'm in the mood to talk about that plant, and I don't want to spend six hours trying to find a picture before I come up with something to say. By the time I find illustrations, the mood is gone.

So the husband and I went out to get a camera, and the first couple places wanted more than I wanted to spend for even their lowest-end cameras, which was depressing. Then we went to Sears, and they were working on pricing last years' floor models when we got there, which, long story short, means I got a newish 6.0 megapixel camera for $30. It's not perfect: I have trouble holding the camera still enough to get sharp pictures, because of the way it's designed, and the pictures I get are still only 640 x 480 px, but it's a vast improvement over the previous camera.

So, to (literally) illustrate my point --

This is a picture of Spathiphyllum x 'Golden Glow,' taken with the new camera:



So perhaps you can see what I meant about the color taking some getting used to.

Is it the best picture imaginable? Well no. But for $32.79, I'm not sure I care.

The camera in question here is an Olympus FE-170, if anybody cares. Sears wanted, I think, $129.99 or better for the newer Olympus FE-210, so I figure I did well.

Some of the borrowed photos from public domain or volunteer sources will still be used from time to time, but I think most of them from here out will be my own original photos, of my own personal plants. It should be clear from the photo credits which is which.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can change the resolution of the pictures you take by accessing the image quality menu and choosing a higher-quality setting.

Tracy said...

Also, use your macro setting, a little flower sign normally, and it really helps with the quality of the the pics. I have an even older olympus and I still love it.

mr_subjunctive said...

Thanks for the tip about the macro setting (now if I could just get that to be the default every time I turned the camera on, we'd be all set).

The image quality thing wasn't a complaint exactly: I know I could get better pictures out of it if I were willing to upload them to my computer two at a time, but that takes more time to do than I want to put into it.

I'm also noticing that having the flash on never improves the picture, but maybe that just means I'm not doing it right.