Saturday, May 3, 2008

Random plant event: Ficus religiosa seedlings

A little more news from the Great Annual Seed Project today. I kept most of the seeds at home, but brought the Ficus religiosa to work, because they're supposed to be unusually difficult to sprout. I figured the extra light and heat couldn't hurt anything. I don't yet know whether that was the right call, but as of Thursday, there were two seedlings there, so something's going right:




Meanwhile, nothing at home seems to be working except for the Echinopsis peruviana / Trichocereus peruvianus. I suspect I need more heat and light, but most of the seeds in question are supposed to be reluctant sprouters anyway. So I'm being patient for now. The only thing I could really do at this point would be to put a heat mat in the mini-greenhouse where I've got the seeds, and I'm a little worried that a heat mat would wind up cooking everything: there's no real air circulation to speak of, and a lot of potentially melty plastic. So for now we hold.


1 comment:

Barbee' said...

You must have all the patience in the world. Those are fragile looking babies. Good luck with the others, too. Taking the kids to work with you. Hmmm. Good idea.