Saturday, June 14, 2008

Flood Stories No. 2: More rain! Also, mild blasphemy!

Hey, guess what? More rain! We got three separate rounds of fairly heavy rain (the first one had slushy hail, too, which was a first for me -- imagine being under a tall building, with a couple guys on the top floor throwing snow cones at you) this afternoon, from about 4:30 to 5:30 PM. Awesome.


Well no, not really. It's actually kind of le suck, as the French would say,1 but oh well. We've got however many feet of water now, so what's a few more inches? The city attempted to reason with the storm, erecting hastily-written, but clear, signs --


but these were sadly ineffective.

The first storm also included what might have been a tornado (they did sound the sirens and everything), though that was never made official. I was a little disappointed: I figured if we were to get really, superfantastically lucky, maybe the tornado would pick up all the water from our river and drop it somewhere else. Maybe I expect too much from tornados. I did enjoy the last one. (At the time of the tornado, I lived about half a block south of the church pictured at the link. Good times.)

Still, I got to see cool swirly clouds anyway, which is my main interest in tornados. I just want to see clouds do something different from the norm. So this was cool:


And anyway. The latest rain did eventually end:


12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." (Genesis 9:12-16, New International Version)




Liar.


-

1(If they didn't speak French very well.)


2 comments:

Hermes said...

We had those sort of floods last year. Good luck and hope the river subsides soon.

Mr. Green Genes said...

Best of luck Mr. S! I think it was Woody Allen who wrote "Mother Nature is a bitch"- looks he's right...