Monday, July 21, 2008

Random plant event: Sansevieria trifasciata leaf section sprout

When I was doing the Sansevieria trifasciata post, I took some leaf sections to try to grow into new plants, just to see how that worked. Also I wanted to see what colors the new plants would be, whether they'd keep the coloration of the original plants or revert to the normal green. I've never propagated Sansevieria before, and frankly I was expecting it to take a long time, but I've already had one sprout come up:


It's a little early to tell for sure, but so far it looks like the sprout is not going to be as dark as the original leaf (which if I remember right was a 'Black Coral'). I'd been told to expect this. Karen and sheila, in the comments of the original post, both said that the colors on new growth are not necessarily the same as the parent leaf, and sheila actually said that she'd tried it with a darker plant like this and had gotten a medium-green plant out of it. So I'm not especially surprised, but we'll give it some time yet and see whether it's going to stick with this color or pick another one.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Upon further review, my black coral plant is darker than I had thought, actually quite close to the parent plant. I can't actually compare them because I don't have a black coral hanging around right now.

In theory, shouldn't the vegetative propagation result in identical coloration? (Maybe you went over this in detail in your original post, I'm too lazy to go back and find it right now.) Although I know the yellow border doesn't come true.

After about 2 or 3 years, my little plant has about 5 or 6 leaves and is about 15 inches at its tallest. Not a speed demon by any means, but better than I had expected. I guess it likes getting a little leftover orchid fertilizer water occasionally.

Aiyana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aiyana said...

My Sansevieria trifasciata 'Moonshine' always has offsoots that are much lighter than the parent, but as the new leaves age, they turn darker--a shame as the new leaves are gorgeous.
Aiyana