Friday, January 30, 2009

[Exceptionally] Pretty pictures: transmitted light -- Part V

(All prior pictures in the transmitted light series can be found here.)

It's that time again, and I have to say, this is my favorite batch to date.

Hippeastrum NOID. Well okay, this picture isn't so much a favorite.


Syngonium podophyllum. Or this one. Though I must note, as I often do, how happy it makes me when even the boring pictures are in focus.


Scindapsus pictus. Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Little bit sparkly, little bit blotchy -- this could be cool, maybe, someday.


Neoregelia NOID 'Nuance.' I know it looks like when somebody on TV wears a striped tie, and the pattern gets all strobey and colors start to appear that aren't in the actual tie and you kind of want to look away from it but you can't. But this isn't a technical glitch: the leaf actually looks like this. Really and truly.


Farfugium japonicum 'Crested Leopard.' The interesting part of this one to me is not the round, lighter-colored spots of variegation, but the pattern of the veins in the bulk of the leaf, away from the main veins or the spots.


Strobilanthes dyerianus. And nobody ever even knows about this, because everybody's always so focused on the tops of the leaves. It's tragic, is what it is.


Cyrtomium falcatum. Ferns just have awesome venation.


Stromanthe sanguinea 'Triostar.' I aim for symmetrical photos, most of the time, but occasionally asymmetry is a good thing.


Cordyline fruticosa 'Florica.' A little washed-out, but interesting.


Polyscias balfouriana. I wasn't even expecting anything particularly interesting from this picture when I took it. Getting it home and seeing all the (in-focus!) detail pretty much made my day.


2 comments:

a said...

That fern is very surprising and cool. I'll have to look more closely at the ones in my yard when they wake up this spring...

Anonymous said...

I love images of leaves like this - it's amazing what you see when you really look at them. Beautiful!