Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pretty picture: Wilsonara Pacific Panache 'Keenan'


Wilsonara is a cross of Cochlioda, Odontoglossum, and Oncidium; I don't know much about it beyond that. These flowers were at my ex-job a few weeks ago (possibly the same visit when I got all the Phalaenopsis pictures: set 1, set 2, set 3).

This is a cool color for orchid flowers, but the size and shape don't do a lot for me. I'm still more of a fan of Beallara and Goodaleara, with the medium-sized star-shaped flowers. I'd rather have one biggish flower than a spray of tiny ones. I suppose I'd make an exception if it were an Oncidium 'Sharry Baby' or something: fragrance has priority over flower size.

Which reminds me: I still want to get a 'Sharry Baby' sometime. I should write this down.


3 comments:

lynn'sgarden said...

Nice photo! I tend to like the darker shade of 'Sharry Baby' also. The new blog colors are nice, Mr_Subj...you're good with it?

mr_subjunctive said...

I think so. The way pictures show up on the new color has surprised me a few times, but I think it's working for me.

our friend Ben said...

Ooh, that is a great color, Mr. S. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. Thanks for the heads-up!