Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Random plant event: Callisia fragrans flower bud

The winter of previously-unseen flowers continues, apparently, with Callisia fragrans. Supposedly, one needs greenhouse-like conditions in order to get these to bloom indoors, or at least that's what Google says Glasshouse Works used to say. I don't think the plant room is really all that greenhousey, or at least it's not as greenhousey as I would like sometimes, but clearly it's working out somewhat.


I've never seen the flowers before in person; I've barely ever even seen the plant. WCW has a very large one, and obviously I have one (which I obtained through a trade), but I've never seen one for sale in a store. I like the plant, but I kind of understand why they're not more common: its habit is weird, and kind of unwieldy: little rosettes of leaves at the end of crazy-long runners that flop all over and get tangled in things. Still. The flowers are supposed to be fragrant, and it's incredibly easy to grow. I'll let you know if it lives up to the hype when they open.


8 comments:

Carol said...

How lovely to see a new bloom ... for the very first time... to have nurtured it ... it will be as a gift. I hope it is delicious for you. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Interesting plant. I've never seen it before.

Unknown said...

Just remember, a watched bloom never opens...or so it seems while we're waiting. :-)

Liza said...

Ooh, I wonder what it will smell like!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

I'm curious to see what the flower will look like. I've never seen this plant at any store.

Paul said...

I had one of these years ago. Grew like a weed. Finally got tired of it and gave it to a friend of mine who was always lamenting her "black thumb". Did well for her for a number of years ... until she forgot to bring it back inside before freezing temps hit.

I won't swear to it -- because it has been over 10 years since I was growing it -- but if memory serves me correctly it did indeed bloom for me in my apt.

Peggy Jo said...

Has it bloomed yet? I want to SEE it! :-)

mr_subjunctive said...

Peggy Jo:

Indeed it has. In fact, it has been more or less ever since.