Friday, May 7, 2010

Question for the Hive Mind: Dahlia NOID

A PATSP reader writes,

I recently found your website while looking for growing information on some cacti- but after browsing through many past posts, I noticed that you and your readers help a lot of people with various plant ID. I fell in love with a Dahlia [in] a public garden about a year ago, and have not been able to figure out what kind it is. I was hoping someone might recognize it and know what it is called! It is a huge blossom, probably about 10-12” wide if I remember correctly. Very beautiful, rich jewel tone pink. The blossom seems to face downward, but there are so many frilly, wavy petals it all looks like a big messy ball. I have attached pictures (the last picture is of a soon-to-open bud), and greatly thank you in advance for your help!








Anybody have any guesses? Or know of any good Dahlia-centric sites that might be useful?


4 comments:

Joseph said...

There are literally thousands of dahlia cultivars -- IDing one by sight (except for super popular ones like Bishop of Llandaff) is all but impossible. Your best bet would probably be to look through the offerings of a dahlia specialty nursery (I don't know any off the top of my head, but Google does I'm sure) and look for something similar.

John said...

From TheBestGardening blog: Thank you for pointing out my mistake in the mislabeled 'lipstick plant'. I greatly appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I may have found what this one could be. I was cleaning out old plant catalogs at my internship and spotted Dahlia 'Islander' and it reminded me of this post. It looks close to it.

Laddie said...

Oops. I hit enter before I could link a picture.

http://www.gladiola.com/images/2007dahliapics/Islander.jpg