Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pretty pictures: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis cvv.


Today (Tuesday), I may be getting rid of some of my duplicate plants, in a semi-wholesale kind of way, but I'm writing this on Monday night and so I don't know whether it's going to happen or not. If it does happen, then I get money and space, both of which would be really pleasant things to have, but if it doesn't, then I'm stuck here being depressed and irritable and questioning my life decisions all day. I may know which it will be by about noon (my time).

(UPDATE: Turns out to be something in between. A little more money, a little more space, and I'm not complaining, though neither am I pricing gold-plated dog dishes for Sheba. I'm not rocking back and forth with my head in my hands, asking myself where it all went wrong either, so we'll call it a success.)




The Hibiscus photos don't really have anything to do with that, but I'm preoccupied and don't have a lot of creative focus available for writing, and these were available, so.




They date from our last trip to Cedar Rapids, except for the last photo:


My own personal Hibiscuses made it through the winter intact, or mostly intact, though it wasn't really a fun experience for any of us. They may be twice as pretty as anything else I have, but they're only good for about half the year. The rest of the time, they're dormant or covered in spider mites or whatever. So it's a wash. I'm not going to get rid of the two I have, but I'm not going to try to get more. I think.


5 comments:

lynn'sgarden said...

Great collection of photos, Mr. Subj. I feel exactly the same with my one lone hibiscus tree...not worth the trouble to keep but just can't throw her out as she does put forth one flush of beautiful orangy/red blooms. And I find the more I neglect her, the better her bud production!

Hope by noon, your sale is under way!

Laura said...

Now thats some lovely colours to start my Tuesday off with. Thanks!

Liza said...

You crack me up, mr_s!

Martin said...

Great photography do you have a flickr account?

Glad to read that you don't let plants take up all of your living space. Although you could be a candidate for the most telegenic episode of A&E's Hoarder show ever if you let things get out of hand ;)

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

They are all so beautiful, how are you going to choose? I have one bush, and it is pink.