Thursday, July 8, 2010

Animals: Bufo americanus

Nothing super-special about toads. I like seeing them around, I think they're sort of neat, but by this point in my life, few toads or toad-related phenomena surprise me.

Adult toad, just passing through the yard. Photo is from a couple months ago.

However. Sheba scared the tiny little guy below out of the grass onto the street on a walk earlier this week, and s/he held still while I took a picture. And I was surprised, because I did not know that toads could be adorable.

Body length was roughly 1 inch (2.5 cm). Those are individual little grains of sand in the concrete, if that helps with the sense of scale. S/he could fit in a dollhouse and be nearly proportional to all the furniture. Like, "Barbie's Dream Toad™" or something.

Plant-related post to follow this afternoon.


8 comments:

Ginny Burton said...

A playmate for Nina, perhaps?

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Awwww, s/he's so cute. Great shot. I love when critters sit still long enough for a good photo.

Unknown said...

Yes, baby toads -are- adorable. Not as adorable as baby Blanchard's cricket frogs, but close.

Lance said...

Dream toad - I love that. I think it's a marketable idea, call Mattel.

Liza said...

Looks delicious. I'm thinking battered and deep-fried. That's just me. You might prefer grilled or maybe oven roasted. Mmmmm.

mr_subjunctive said...

Ginny Burton:

Probably not. If Nina didn't eat the toad while it was small, the toad might eat Nina once it got large. Also I didn't catch it and wouldn't know where to find it again.

Lance:

Thank you. I was particularly pleased with that joke.

Liza:

Liza! Go back to your blog and think about what you've done!

Anonymous said...

Toadlet! Awwww.

I would so totally buy a Barbie's Dream Toad, if only it were not hot pink.

Liza:
Fried. Definitely fried.

Thomas said...

I can see that. Barbie becomes a shaman & spiritual healer. She licks the toad, chews peyote she grows on her green roof and goes on vision quests. Gives "Barbie's Dream House" a whole new meaning....