Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pretty pictures: Solidago NOID


It's been Solidago season here for a while, but fortunately it lasts a long time, so this post is still timely.


I have fond memories of Solidago, goldenrod being one of the first plants I remember learning a name for, and particularly one occasion when I came across a small but steep slope (a hill next to a ditch, if I remember correctly) that had goldenrod growing all up and down it. Though I was less impressed with the plant than I was with the number of pollinators, as I recall.


The only thing I don't like about them is that the bright golden yellow color is fleeting, and turns very quickly to a dull crappy brown, which makes everything look that much deader and sadder. And since it's the end of the summer, things already look pretty damned dead and sad. I suppose we can't really hold the Solidago responsible for summer ending, though.


I mean, we could hold them responsible, but it would be unfair. I'm sure they're not happy about it.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're handsome plants in fields and ditches, and there are a lot of species (more than 50 here in the East) which makes them hard to identify for the non-botanist. Most are impossible to manage in the perennial garden, because they spread too enthusiastically by rhizomes, though a few make very nice border plants ( S sphacelata 'Golden Fleece' is my favortie, and has a nice winter presence). In general, the ones you can buy in garden centers are safe for gardens.

Don

lynn'sgarden said...

Nothing beats a field of Solidagos! But it's a love/hate plant for me...bane of my existence due to allergies...aachoo!

Anonymous said...

Lynn:

Solidago is not wind pollenated, and its pollen is too heavy to travel on the breezes. Goldenrod is often unfairly blamed for fall hayfever that's usually due to ragweed pollen, which blooms at the same time.

So you can enjoy your goldenrods without ambivalence.

Don

Pat said...

My favourite herbal tea, whether made from S. canadensis or S. virgaurea.