Monday, December 13, 2010

Question for the Hive Mind: Reader NOID

A reader has, once again, managed to stump me on a plant ID question. This particular plant:

  • was originally purchased via an ad in Town and Country
  • has been around for several years
  • blooms "all the time."


My only guess is that maybe the plant is in the Malvaceae -- that pistil (?) sticking out of the flower looks a lot like certain Abutilon and Hibiscus varieties I've seen. Though the leaves completely don't match.


So how about it? Even if you don't know a precise species or variety, confirming a family or genus would still be helpful in tracking it down.


9 comments:

Pat said...

Reminds me of some Pavonia spp I have seen, though that was a long time ago and it doesn't look quite the same.

Pat said...

Pavonia multiflora looks very similar. Photos at Top Tropicals.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

It looks really nice. Great that it blooms so much.

Paul said...

The leaf arrangement reminds me of Brownlowia tersa. The flowers baffle me, though.

Tom said...

I was going to suggest Pavonia of some sort but I appear to be beaten!

Derek said...

My money is on Pavonia multiflora.

mr_subjunctive said...

All:

Both I and the original e-mailer would like to thank everyone for their suggestions; it does appear to be Pavonia multiflora.

kalley58@comcast.net said...

I purchase this plant at the 2011 flower show it is a pavonia multiflora , Brazilian Candles

Carolyn said...

pavonia multiflora, Brazilian Candles