Saturday, October 29, 2011

Rumble Among the Jungle, Match 4.7

What happened in match 4.3:

Phalaenopsis / Doritaenopsis cvv. beat Hoya carnosa cvv. by 64 to 50. I can't say I'm terribly surprised, though it wasn't my preference. Round 4 is just sucking for me; so far it looks like my picks will only win one of the first five rounds.

So anyway. The Apocynaceae are out of the running now.

I bet I can see the results of today's match coming too.

Match 4.7
Haworthia spp. vs. Self-heading Philodendrons ('Autumn,' 'Prince of Orange,' 'Moonlight')

Top row, L-R: Haworthia tessellata (?), H. NOID.
Middle row, L-R: Haworthia limifolia var. ubomboensis, H. cymbiformis (?), assortment.
Bottom row, L-R: Haworthia attenuata, H. limifolia var. limifolia.


Clockwise from top left: Philodendron 'Prince of Orange,' 'Moonlight,' 'Autumn,' 'Prince of Orange,' 'Moonlight.'




5 comments:

Han Keat Lim said...

It looks like a prank. All my favourites lost in matches.

Michael said...

Phalaenopsis are gonna go all the way.

Long Haired Lady Rider said...

I just realized that this was more fun when there were lots of plants in contention. Every time that something that I love loses I feel more discouraged. When its a matchup between two things that I love I just wanna puke.

mr_subjunctive said...

Han Keat Lim / Long Haired Lady Rider:

Yeah. I can relate. I mean, I knew when we started that 127 out of the 128 starters weren't going to make it to the end so I shouldn't get too attached to the idea of any particular one of them winning, and I'm still interested in seeing which one is going to win overall (partly because I'm interested in everybody's explanations for why it was that one, when virtually everybody will have been hoping for one of the other 127 plants to win), but yeah. Some of the results have been tough to accept. Probably a sign that I'm taking this too seriously.

Which is weird in itself, because there's literally nothing riding on the outcome. I mean, there's nothing to even care about here, really, except the desire that other people properly appreciate the plants I enjoy, and yet I care anyway. Perhaps I've finally found an explanation for professional sports?

Derek said...

I'm voting Philodendron. You can't ask for a better, easier, more beautiful indoor plant. Go Fighting Philos!