Monday, September 10, 2012

Pretty picture: Paphiopedilum NOID

No tag again. Interesting flower, though the picture perhaps doesn't do it justice.


wrong tags: 5
incomplete tags: 1
missing tags: 9

It's occasionally very weird to me to realize that a plant as unusual as this one actually lives in a person's house (or greenhouse, at least). And most likely, it's a house that's not even that far away from me. Midwest, at least.

There's not really anything more to that thought; I just occasionally have to recalibrate my sense of what's exotic and what's mundane, and I guess this is one of those times.

I had a similar moment a couple weeks ago, except about age/time instead of exotic/mundane, when I realized that I own and use a set of towels that are older than most of this year's University of Iowa freshmen. (Towels were from 1991; the freshmen are mostly from 1993-94.) I suddenly felt very, very old. Also highly committed to buying our next set of towels from JCPenney, 'cause damn. Some quality towelage there.

Scalepocalypse 2012 update:

Aloe 'Firebird' (4 Sep 2012, basement) -- neemed.


3 comments:

orchideya said...

Nice paph, too bad there is no tag. It looks a lot like Paphiopedilum lowii.

Liza said...

Yeah, those moments can be eye-opening. I have been there, my friend.

Garden Broad said...

Beautiful stranger, regardless.