Friday, November 6, 2015

Anthurium no. 0532 "Amber Alert"

Perhaps I should stop naming Anthurium seedlings "Amber."


I mean, okay, "Amber Alert" is better than 0558 "Amber Waves," to be sure. If nothing else, she appears to have a functional spadix, and the color is smoother and prettier. But the peduncle is unusually short, like that of 0335 "Donna Fanuday",1


the leaves have lots of small blemishes,


and the plant overall has very few leaves and looks sort of unfinished.


I suppose that last point could be a good sign -- Amber wants to bloom so badly she'll start doing it before she's grown many leaves! -- but whether she's going to be a heavy bloomer or not, I'm not impressed with this Amber either. She has a bud at the moment, so I'll let her finish doing whatever she's going to do before making a final decision, but it'll have to be one hell of a second bloom if she wants to stay.

Speaking of second blooms:

I said I would give 0416 "Holy McGrail" a chance to make a second bloom, the theory being that maybe it would be better than the first. And this is what she came up with:


It's a larger bloom than the first one, I think, and it's not torn like the first one, but it actually has more thrips damage, and the color is both boring and poorly executed, so as soon as I have time to deal with the paperwork, Holy's out of here.

EDIT: I've added two new pages to the blog, Anthurium seedling gallery and Schlumbergera seedling gallery. They're mostly there for my own convenience, to save me time when I need to talk about multiple seedlings at once by collecting basic information about the seedlings and the posts about them into a single location, but I didn't see any reason not to make them public, so there you go. Just in case you have a crisis that can only be solved by looking at a ton of Anthurium and Schlumbergera photos or something.

-

1 I was undecided about Donna in her introduction post, but I have decided since that she's worth keeping. The second peduncle was taller, the thrips mostly seem to leave her alone, and the foliage is nice. Granted, I can still change my mind. But I think Donna's okay.


No comments: