Thursday, December 20, 2007

Pop Quiz, and an announcement

Pop quiz: in the below picture from work are the dead leaves, flowers, and whole plants of a number of species. Your task is to come up with a list which identifies as many of the species in the picture as precisely as possible (in a few cases, it may be possible to identify a particular cultivar; in a few others, no identification is possible beyond genus).

You may work together by posting guesses in the comments and discussing answers among yourselves: I will stay out of the comments except where necessary to clarify rules. You should select a leader to post a final list of up to 25 guesses on or before 5 AM CST on December 26.

On December 26, I will post a second photo, with annotations, so you can see where the various plants on my list were, at which point there will be complaints of unfairness and/or sadism, and possibly also comments resulting in hilarity.

Hints: my list contains twenty-two distinct species. Eight of these have been pictured (though not necessarily profiled) in previous entries. A much larger version of the photo will load if you click the picture below.



-

The reason for the above pop quiz is that I need to take a break. I hate to do this when I'm just getting people interested in the site and there's a respectable hit count and all that, but I need a few days to write new stuff (the Breakfast Club thing is unexpectedly difficult: I know which plant to do for Princess, but Brain and Criminal are making me crazy, and they all take more time than I can really afford right now.), and catch up on plant-watering, and work (the plants use water whether it's a holiday or not), and so forth. I figure this is as good a time as any to take a short hiatus, since my readers' schedules are likely to be a little atypical now too: perhaps no one will notice. And, if I use the hiatus to launch the pop quiz, maybe everyone will be entertained regardless. I'm hopeful, in any case.

Regular daily posts will resume on the 26th, with the posting of the pop quiz key.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. S, I'm going to have withdrawals from being able to read your posts daily!!! You're wit and humor mixed with some great information goes perfect with my first cup of coffee in the morning.....Whatever will I do for this week?????

Have a Wonderful Holiday and enjoy taking a break from the keyboard for a bit.

Tracy said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and enjoy your break. I love the idea of the game!! I dl'ed the pic, so I can study it...lol.

Merry Christmas!!

Aiyana said...

I should also take a break, but sometimes I think that if I do, I won't go back to daily posts! I'm good at routine, bad about motivation I guess.
Happy holidays,
Aiyana

mr_subjunctive said...

I was actually a little concerned about that myself, the not going back to posting again thing. But the quiz'll be enough to get me back once, and after that I assume it'll be like riding a bike.

Nobody's even going to throw out any guesses for the picture?

Sarah Sedwick Studio said...

Merry Christmas, everyone! Here are some guesses (I get the easy ones since I'm going first, huh?):

ficus "spearmint", ficus lyrata, syngonium, ZZ, pothos, pointsettia, sanseveria, ficus elastica, and either bromeliad or orchid, also I *think* I spy some kentia palm in there.

I have no clue about any of the flowers!