Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pretty pictures: Gerbera cvv.

It's been a very long time since I've mentioned Gerberas here. And there's a good reason for that: I don't like them very much.

Some of this is because they were hard to keep in the greenhouse (too wet and they mildew, too dry and they wilt), but even the healthy ones seem a little bit too much, in a bad way. Aggressively cheerful motivational speaker types, almost. Like if gerbs could talk, they'd spend all day spewing something like, It's just GREAT to be here with all of you on this FANTASTIC and BEAUTIFUL day and isn't it WONDERFUL how we can all get together and have FUN like this and now I'm going to burst into song IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT CLAP YOUR HANDS. . . .

So why do a post about them? Because I've never seen gerbs like these before:



These were at the ex-job last Wednesday. Neither one had an ID tag.

I don't know if this kind of flower, with the two-tone petals, is a new thing in the world of Gerbera daisies -- it's not a part of horticulture I keep up with, for obvious reasons -- but it's at least not very common; most of the pictures that come up in Google image search are of red, orange, and pink single-color flowers. So it seemed newsworthy.


6 comments:

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Hahaha...a great way to describe them. I tried them a couple of times outdoors and they really disappointed me. I won't be doing that again!

Julie said...

Very pretty, but I am more amazed at the number of house plants you have! You must live in a mansion!!! WOWZERS! Love all your posts....always fun and informative!
Julie

Jean Campbell said...

The Gerberas I like are the old species type with a row of single, pointy petals. Useless in the greenhouse, great in a garden, If the crowns don't get covered they can live for 50 years.

Anna dlC from Toronto said...

These kind of look like the daisies they make bright blue or green by introducing food dye into their water.

Ivynettle said...

Now I won't be able to look at Gerberas any more without thinking of your description!
I never liked them. Sadly, our customers do.

Cassidy said...

I'm not usually a big fan of daisies, but these are really pretty!